Tag: HTTP

Writing a HTTP 1.1 Stack And Implementing BOSH

Hi,

here a short and long awaited update on my Google Summer of Code work. I've been finishing the update of libpurple's Entity Capabilities implementation to the latest version and added a bit functionality so that 3rd-party plugins for Pidgin can query for some contact's capabilities or adding capabilities to Pidgin's feature list which they implement. It's been tested and seems to work. Thanks to Arne König for testing all this and giving useful feedback.

During the last weeks I've added TXT record lookup to libpurple's asynchronous DNS lookup system and make libpurple automatically query for Alternate Connection Methods for XMPP. The end user won't notice much of the underlying mechanics but if she/he is behind some firewall with HTTP proxy and the XMPP service administrator has setup the right records and services libpurple will automatically use BOSH to login and everything will be nice.

Onto new business. I've started implementing a HTTP 1.1 stack which is nearly finished. I've already started implementing BOSH which is based on this new HTTP stack. The great thing about it is that I use Safa Sofuoğlu's Google Summer of Code project, which is about improving OpenFire's BOSH support, for testing. So if I implement according the spec and something doesn't work I can directly report the errors, discuss them and get them fixed quite fast. The best of all will be a XMPP server supporting latest version, version 1.6, of BOSH in form of a connection manager part in OpenFire and a client supporting the latest BOSH.

The next week I'll try to get BOSH at least working and do some debugging and cleaning here and there. If I don't get it finished till GSoC deadline I'll finish it later on.


Cheers and happy coding,
Tobias

Posted with tags , , , ,